SEARCHING FOR THE RIGHT PET FOR YOU….. Thank you for considering the Butler County Humane Society to find your next best friend! It’s important to remember that adopting an animal may be more involved than you realize. Everything we do is aimed at getting the best possible permanent home for our animals. To ensure this, everyone who comes to BCHS to adopt an animal goes through the same adoption process. Our adopters must apply in person, be at least 18 years old and have a current photo ID.
What can I expect from the adoption process? The process usually takes a minimum of 30-45 minutes. Here’s how it works:
• Take a walk through the kennels and if you see anyone that you are interested in, take note of their names. Visit the front desk when you’re ready to move forward.
• Next, a staff member will will meet with you to determine which animal is the perfect fit for you. For example, some of our animals don’t like cats, dogs, or sometimes even children.
• You may be asked to obtain your landlord’s approval for the adoption. This policy helps us reduce the number of animals that are returned to us.
• After you have spoken with an adoptions staff member, you will meet with your potential pet. Eventually, we ask that all members of your family meet the animal, too. If you are adopting a dog and have another dog, we want them to get along well, so we arrange a time for you to bring in your pet to visit and socialize.
• When your new pet is ready to go home with you, you will be asked to sign an adoption contract and pay an adoption fee. The fee helps to cover the cost of surgery, vaccines and daily care that your pet received.
Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:00am to 4:00pm
Tuesday: 11:00am to 5:00pm
Wednesday: 11:00am to 4:00pm
Thursday: 11:00am to 5:00pm
Friday: 11:00am to 4:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am to 5:00pm
$100.00 : Adult Dogs (over 6 months)
$175.00*: Puppies (under 6 months)
$60.00 : Adult Cats (over 4 months)
$100.00 : Kittens (under 4 months)
$50.00 : Dogs and Cats over 5 years of age
$60.00 : Dogs who have been at the shelter for 6 months or longer
*$50 refundable with proof of puppy obedience training class within 3 months of adoption. Senior citizens (over 65 with proof of ID) as well as active military and veterans are eligible to receive a 10% discount on all adoptions.
Why do we require an adoption fee?
The Butler County Humane Society is a small, non-profit organization that relies on the donations from generous community members to keep our doors open. We do not receive any type of federal funding. We are also a no-kill facility, which means that we do not euthanize to create space. Therefore, when we pledge to care for an animal at our shelter, it very well may be for their entire life. When we take in a healthy pet that costs a minimal amount to care for in terms of medical bills, the profit from that animal’s adoption is applied to the costs of the many others who are not as fortunate.
When an animal arrives at the shelter, funds must be spent on neutering and spaying, vaccinations, and various other screenings and medical procedures. Veterinary expenses on a healthy animal can run as high as $175.00, and can be even more depending on the breed and animal. The truth is the majority of found/stray/rescues DO require additional veterinary care. Here at the BCHS we do whatever is necessary to help the animals in our care, and it can often take several months to return an animal to good health. It is not unusual for the cost of this care to run from $450.00-$1,000.00 per pet. All of this does not include general finances for caring for the animals, such as feeding them and making sure they have clean beds to sleep on and plenty of toys to play with! In short, our shelter relies on adoption fees, just as we rely on any other donation in order to provide the care we do for the animals at the shelter. Even our highest adoption fee, $175, is a very small amount when you compare it to the cost of caring for an animal for what can often be years.